Some frequently asked questions & answers


What is a building works application or building development application?

Generally a building development application refers to process of seeking consent for building approval that is assessable building work

Who assesses the building works application?

Building Approvals United QLD, generally to administer and decides the application

What is the main role of Building Approvals United QLD?

The main functions of Building Approvals United QLD are; to receive and assess building development applications and decide the application and grant or refuse the building development approval applied for. Inspect works at critical stages under the Building Act and issue forms as required by the Act.

What is the role of the council?

In 1998 Queensland introduced a private building certification system; which means that in most instances council now only regulates the plumbing works and town planning related aspects of a building application. Council is the holder of public records and generally will receive a copy of all documentation given to us for archiving purposes.

What are IDAS form 1 and IDAS form 2?

These are the application forms the applicant needs to complete to lodge the building works application with Building Approvals United QLD. You can find a link of these forms in our application forms page.

Can we provide all of the information via email?

Yes, these documents need to be originals and in pdf format.

How long does it take to get approval?

This depends on each project (factors like complexity of the project, town planning constraints, further referrals requirements, etc.). We aim to work professionally and effectively to expedite this process, please contact us to discuss further.

How many sets of copies do you need to lodge?

We only need 1 set of copies of all these documents. Our preferred method is electronic (PDF format) these documents must be original copies.

Why are all these documents and plans required to be lodged for a building works application?

These are required by legislation: The Sustainable Planning Act 2009, Building Act 1975, Building Regulations 2006 and other instruments. All these are to be drafted by appropriately licensed persons or companies.

Can we provide our own RP and title search?

Possibly yes, this must be current, please contact us to discuss further.

Can we provide our own energy efficiency assessment?

Yes, this must be fully compliant and in accordance with the requirements of the Building Act 1975

What is a siting relaxation and when is this required?

A siting relaxation generally refers to the application having to be referred to local council, usually associated with non-compliance with boundary setback requirements, for example where a building’s proposed location is to be located less than a prescribed boundary setback requirement (e.g. 5 m instead of 6m from the front boundary in a residential area).

Can you assist with other applications/permits that may be required (e.g. Council plumbing approval, preliminary building approvals, siting relaxations, generally in accordance applications, basic code assessment application, etc.?

Yes, we can, please contact us to discuss further

Could there be further plans required or documents required to be lodged for assessment?


Can RPEQ engineers conduct some of the mandatory inspections during the construction process (e.g. footings, slab, and framework)?

Yes, please contact us to discuss further.

What is an information request?

An information request that is related to a building development application (building application) usually means that certain statutory documentation has been requested by the building certifier to enable us to assess the building application. As an example this document could request things like plans, application forms, or a report or any document that is required to support the building application.

What is the normal currency period (validity period) of a building permit?

Usually 2 years or as stipulated by the decision notice.

What happens after the decision notice is issued?

Normally after having issued the decision notice, inspections (as per building approval and conditions and as per Building Act 1975) must be requested to us and cleared by Building Approvals United QLD prior to continuing to the next stage. Upon successful final inspection; Building Approvals United QLD decides to issue the final inspection certificate.

Do you lodge documents with the council?

Yes, we give a copy of all of our decision notices to local government (e.g. notice of engagement, decision notices, and final certificates)


Servicing the Sunshine Coast area only.